Spring is nice for a couple reasons: flowers are blooming, you can open up windows for outdoor air and your utility bill is normally at its lowest. That’s because you’re not relying on your heating or air conditioner.
But as temps begin to climb, so do your energy costs. Here are a few tips for saving energy in Oakville and keeping costs less expensive.
1. Book Yearly AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system a seasonal maintenance appointment can help it operate more efficiently and scale down costs. Changing out your air filter will help keep utility costs down.
If your air conditioning equipment has had better days, spring is an excellent time to replace it. The energy-saving technology in newer cooling systems is a definite advantage for keeping your utility bill down.
2. Lower Your Thermostat
There’s a straightforward way you can save up to 10% on home comfort costs. Just dial your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours each day.
Figuring out how to effectively schedule your thermostat is the smartest way to lower energy costs in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re in the house. Think of it this way, the lower the difference between exterior temperatures and indoor temperatures, the less expensive your energy expense will be.
- When you’re away, set the thermostat to a significantly higher temperature or shut it off. It doesn’t make sense to cool an empty home.
3. Take Advantage of Other Approaches to Cool Your Home
You can do several other things to help keep your house cool:
- Use a ceiling fan—By using a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no reduction in comfort. Have your fan spin counterclockwise during the summer, which pushes cool air upward. This disperses cool air more evenly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds shut—Sunlight quickly transforms into heat as it moves through windows. Keep your home cooler by shutting blinds and curtains when you’re not staying in sunny rooms.
4. Think About Using a Smart Thermostat
You’re out and about and suddenly realize you neglected to turn up the thermostat. Then you worry about it the whole day!
Smart thermostats figure out your habits and move the temp when you’re out to help you save money. You can also adjust the temp from anywhere with your phone.
These professional ideas will all help keep summer energy charges less expensive. If you figure out it’s time to improve your thermostat or need AC installation online. We’ll help you find the right solution for your house. And as usual, all our services are endorsed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.