Colder months in Oakville are near. In fact, the months of October through February have a history of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances happening throughout those months. To understand the safety of your home, arrange an annual furnace service now, before the peak of winter arrives.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners know that their furnace may give off deadly carbon monoxide gas, but greater than half don't do anything to keep it from occurring.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be quite harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be thought of as the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that uses fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the opportunity to release carbon monoxide if the system is not working correctly or if it wasn’t installed correctly.
Your annual furnace service company can help identify any potential problems. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Be sure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Inspect for any other suspicious things that might compromise your safety
- Help you identify any additional areas where you may want to end up adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is operating at its peak efficiency, helping give you peace-of-mind that you’re in a great spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to know that many furnace manufacturers could require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the experts at Abbey Air Home Services by Enercare can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 289-813-5566 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the winter months.