When rough weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair expert to check your system after the storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your prep paid off.
At Abbey Air Service Experts, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time may not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets strewn about during bad weather. Just ensure you have turned the system fully off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a protected place so that they don’t get tossed about during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to head outside, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Abbey Air Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Oakville, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other problems that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for threatening weather in Oakville or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 289-813-5566 or schedule an appointment with Abbey Air Service Experts through our online scheduler.