Each year over 20,000 people go to the ER due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is called the silent killer because it’s essentially undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is put off by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the colder months when people are trying to keep their homes heated. To help keep your family safe, Abbey Air Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with some tips to safety keep your home heated.
- Put in a CO detector on every floor of your home and replace the batteries every year.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, at least three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, always check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended. Shut off space heaters and make sure all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be situated on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like concrete or tile. Keep children and furbabies away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, invest in a model that turns off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Never use a stove to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally inspected and cleaned annually.
The best thing you can do for your heating equipment is to be sure it’s not only ready to keep your home warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your heating tune-up. During your fall tune-up, Abbey Air Service Experts will check to be sure your furnace is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 289-813-5566 today and learn how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.