Stopping it from happening is the most important place to start. Doing proper safety precautions will reduce your chances of carbon monoxide poisoning in Oakville.
Here are a few steps you can take to keep your family safe:
- Warm up your car away from your garage. Cars are a major source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so do not leave yours going in the confined space of a garage. The same is true for gas equipment including lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t operate ovens or grills as heating sources. These things are safe when run properly but can create carbon monoxide when run for a long period of time in little spaces.
- Don’t use a gas generator indoors, since it makes fumes.
- Have your chimney inspected by a professional. This confirms chimneys and vents aren’t clogged and connected properly.
- Confirm gas appliances are running correctly, especially your heater. You can make sure you’re getting efficient, safe heating by scheduling regular furnace maintenance with Abbey Air Home Services by Enercare.