Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect There are many potential gases that may be present in your home. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors released from household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But none are as dangerous as carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is scary and may even be a matter of life and death, so it needs to be taken very seriously. What is extremely concerning is that it is hard to detect because it is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can manuveur its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on how large the crack is and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can lead to death very quickly, or it could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things. It is important to not risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some recommended action items to protect yourself and your family: If you do not currently have a carbon monoxide detector in your house, call Abbey Air Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Oakville to purchase one. Ask our experts about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, don’t forget to check the batteries on a regular basis. Testing should be done every three months, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or start having some of the symptoms listed above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps your family can be protected from the hazardous gas. Take the necessary steps and call Abbey Air Service Experts in Oakville at 289-813-5566 to learn more.